Sunday, April 10, 2005

Glued

So despite the fact that I have three episodes of Desperate Housewives on TIVO to watch, the beautiful Southern California weather outside (perfect for a run), and tons of free time on my hand this weekend (after my Saturday meetings)... I've been glued to my desk reading over my new manuscript and making notes of where I will begin revisions. Well, revisions will begin, says Nicholas, my literary agent, when he's finished reading the manuscript too. Snap. Nicholas is cool like that. We work together well.

Revision work is actually where the work begins when you're a writer and trying to get or stay published. The first draft was pretty easy for me to get through on the second novel -- started right before Christmas, and finished Easter Sunday. Not that I'm a fast writer... this story just spoke to me and spilled on the pages like that (snap). Don't know why. But after reading it today, I realize there is some uumph missing in the middle. I need some more emotional resonance to make me (and you) feel something for all the characters involved. Emotional uumph.


I'm sure Nicholas, my literary agent, will find the same thing. At least I hope that's all he finds, and that I won't have to go back to the drawing board with a whole new story, whole new manuscript. (Are you there God? It's me, Freddie! -- a play on words, Judy Blume's book title of the 70s) Revision is like a puzzle, and each little piece is important and has to fit perfectly for your finished project to be... finished.

Anyway, now that I can get unglued from my desk chair, I need to shower, shave, eat something, and catch up on Desperate Housewives before the new episode tonight.

I'm totally glued to the show.
fs

1 comment:

Dubbed As Trent Jackson said...

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES IS NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH?

I need someone to debrief with...hurry up and watch so we can chat