Wednesday, April 06, 2005

L.A. Again

Something about the brown layer of gunk glistening in the California sunset makes you feel at home. Don't know what it is. L.A. at its environmental best is definitely as comforting as Nashville at its hospitable best.

Though the conference was a Student Affairs conference -- Student Affairs is the part of university life dealing with students' out-of-class learning, social, and developmental experiences -- I was able to get a lot of buzz and talk out there about the novel. I took a few hundred covers to distribute and this morning before leaving, I saw they were all gone. My new friend, Jerlena from CAL, said she and a bunch of University VPs were talking about the novel over a dinner the other night. Very cool. Jerlena's fun! Got some other very promising leads for university events and signings... so I'll definitely be at a university or college campus near you in the fall later this year.

A lot of my professional colleagues were impressed that I'm able to juggle two very important careers at the moment. The university thing. The novel writing thing. I guess it is impressive, but I don't really think about it. It's just what I like to do. Who knows? It may change one of these days.

Anyways... Nashville is nice. It's nicer to be back in the comfort of my own bed in L.A. And that's exactly where I'm going right now... and pretty soon I'll be back to normal and writing about the writing life and the gym... boy do I need the gym.
fs

No comments: