Sunday, July 24, 2005

In The (Fred) News

So I'm new at this writing and publication thing. And I "google" myself sometimes. And I like to share some places where I've found myself.

Most recently: MJ Rose's Backstory and In Los Angeles Magazine.

Enough already. On to other news of my weekend... so far.

The L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center held its first LGBT Book Fair, and it was a success. About eight literary panels scattered throughout the day. Booksellers such as Esowon, A Different Light, and Skylight.

The panel I was on included my oh-so-hilarious (and an excellent writer!) friend Eduardo Santiago, whose novel "And Tomorrow They Will Kiss" will be out in July 2006 on Little & Brown, and a new friend, Vivian Horne, who has several self-published books out on the market. Noel Alumit, whose book "Letters To Montgomery Clift" received much critical acclaim, moderated the panel on race, class, and sexual orientation in fiction. Nice crowd of 50+ people.

Then I signed books at the Esowon Books table, which was a blessing in disguise. The other booksellers had forgotten to pack my books in their materials, so Esowon had an exclusive. And Esowon had a table in the only air-conditioned spot in the plaza. Real cool.

After a quick lunch with Oskar and Daniel, the guys who help me SO much while doing events, I headed down to Matais Books in Long Beach, CA. Matais is a special place in many ways. One, it is the only store in the country that focuses on LBGT books by black authors, both the classics (like James Baldwin and Audre Lorde) and the soon-to-be classics for the community. Yeah, it may sound like a small niche, but the store has quite a following, and a strong community feel. It's kinda like Cheers, but for books and art. Matais and Mark made me feel really welcome. And so did the crowd of a dozen or so people. Real cool.
fs

3 comments:

CireMag Staff said...

you google yourself "sometimes"??? LOL.

Cherlyn Michaels said...

Sounds like you're blazing up a trail! Keep up the good work!

Tayari Jones said...

Fred,
I didn't know you were from Detroit. I have a running joke with a friend-- if you talk about any black subject long enough, the conversation will lead back to Detroit!

T