Saturday, October 01, 2005

M.F.A. or Not?

Everyday I get one or two brochures or packages in the mail, encouraging me to think about considering applying to Master of Fine Arts (M.F.A) programs in Creative Writing or English. There are all sorts of programs. Full time. Part time. Low residency. Oh my.

Having interacted with authors and writers of all levels of education and experience, I have heard about the benefits and challenges that are associated with pursuing a higher degree and level of study in writing. What I hear is compelling. Very briefly (there's more):

Benefits -- craft develops more than you ever imagined; professional/personal connections; leaving with a completed piece that is considered high quality
Challenges -- uniformity (style and people); cliques; can something creative be taught?

Back when I thought I wanted to pursue education (after the journalism thing), I went to graduate school for it and finished. Now that writing is what I see on the horizon as a long-term career, I'm wondering.

What are your thoughts on M.F.A. or not?
fs

1 comment:

the young people's professor said...

fred, go for the MFA. Consider Brown, NYU and Iowa which all have fantastic programs.

Ignore anyone who would discourage you to pursue graduate work in your field.

The formal training often makes the difference.