Thursday, April 27, 2006

Weekend Fun



I don't know about you, but this week has gone sooooo S-L-O-W. I'm so looking forward to the weekend. I'll be travelling again to the Midwest. But a couple of fun things to look forward to this weekend. What are your plans?

1. Akeelah and The Bee. Why am I so friggin excited about this movie? Maybe it's the childhood teacher's pet flashbacks. Maybe it's being called nerd because I cared more about books than kickball. Maybe it's because I did spelling bees in elementary school -- 1st runner up, never the winner, darnit!

But as with all films of substance, especially those that are not your mainstream black-focused movies -- i.e. guns, cussing, gut-wrenching poverty, and hookers or pimps as everyday black life -- it's important to support during the first weekend. So go support Akeelah and The Bee this weekend. Show Hollywood that YOU know there's more to the community than the stereotypes generally presented in film.

2. Feast of Fools. I discovered this podcast a few weeks ago, and now I'm so totally addicted. iPodless? Then listen to them online at the Feast of Fools website. It's fun. It's gay. It's gossipy. It's a party for your ears. And a FREE weekend party if you're a little short on cash. And I'm loving me some Miss Ronnie, one of the co-stars of the show. Yes, you've got some fans Miss R!

3. L.A. Times Festival of Books. OK. Back to the books yet again. But this festival brings thousands of book lovers together with their addiction of choice -- reading. Better than addictions that can kill you, you know? Anyway, if in L.A. this weekend, the UCLA campus will be the place to be... well, if you love books that is.

Anyhoo, I'll be on a plane to the midwest. Fun. Joy. Happiness. It's the weekend. Currently reading Ten Little Indians, a short story collection, by Sherman Alexie.

What are your plans?
fs

4 comments:

Ana Hernandez said...

I guess my plans are always the same...catching up on cleaning, washing the car etc., which I never do. For the most part, I'll try to continue polishing my latest manuscript. Movies? I don't even know what they're showing in the theater nowdays. Reading? Oh yes! I'll continue reading the book '1491' and try to figure out why the latest anti-immigration wave. Senseless society the one we live in. Peace!

Lotus

Absolutelee said...

This weekend has been fast paced so far and I have a little more to go b4 I can sit back and chill before starting the bump and grind of the work week again.

This weekend is Black Gay Pride in Philly and a grass roots organization I'm a part of had our first 2 successful events this weekend, so I am very pleased with that. Partied a little last night for Pride and going to the community celebration today. I got the chance to meet a few new people here in Philly, so hopefully I will soon be expanding my circle of friends.

I hope to get a blog post in today or tomorrow and read some more of Michael Eric Dyson's book on Bill Cosby and the middle class.

Hope you're enjoying the midwest and thanks for stopping by Lee's Space :-) I will aslo check out that podcast.

Waddie G. said...

Akeelah & The Bee is a great movie. I hope it achieve some Oscar noms and wins.

Marz said...

AWWW. I remember being in the spelling bess. Laughing because that girl couldn't spell macaroni in seventh grade. ( I was SO ANGRY that the announcer had a damn lisp. LOL)


-Marz