Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pretty Little Mistakes

Did you ever read those Choose Your Own Adventure books when you were a kid?

You know the books... written in second person, as you're the protagonist, and then you reach a part of the story where you can choose (A) or (B) and then turn to the appropriate page. Some choices lead to a happy ending. Some choices lead to a not-so-happy ending. Kind of like the choices we make in our own lives. I LOVED those books when a kid, and would buy them anytime I had extra money.

Fast forward to 2007. Imagine an adult version of the Choose Your Own Adventure books. Adult as in with grown ups, not THAT way.

Pretty Little Mistakes by Heather McElhatton is one such book bringing the magic back to adults. Except this book isn't about fantasy and adventure. It's about real life choices that you and I make as adults... The things we choose that we enjoy, and the things we do that we wish we could do over.

Do you go home with the one you meet at at the club or stay with your friends?
Do you go to college right away or do you travel?
Do you commit or don't commit to the one you think is 'the one'?
Do you work "here" or work "there"?

I brought this one along with me for this time off because I figured it would be entertaining, and also give me multiple stories in one so that I wouldn't have to bring the whole library on the plane with me.

So far, I'm enjoying it a lot. And seeing how large and small choices we make do affect the direction our lives take.

Fun reading! And fun interviews with the author here!
fs

No comments: