Monday, December 10, 2007

My Time-Consuming Addiction

First, the RAWSISTAZ Reviewers did a cool review of RIGHT SIDE. Thanks Miss Cashana from Birmingham, Alabama!

Second, my publisher ran an ad/contest for RIGHT SIDE last month. And I want to publicly congratulate the following who got some cool freebies from that contest: Debby G from Connecticut; Keith E from New Mexico; Linda S from Pittsburgh; Chelsea P from Calgary; and LuAnn M from Washington state.

OK. The time-consuming addiction. Google and Amazon. Love the sites. But they're the worst enemy of a writer whose project has just been released. Even one whose project is several years old. In trying to curb my addiction to Googling myself, or checking Amazon for comments, I'm keeping a little notepad by my laptop where I mark how many times I think about searching myself... and how many times I actually do.

Why? Part is ego, but more self ego than obnoxious or outward ego personality. It's wanting to see if anything new on myself has popped up. I have found myself on the most interesting and surprising places... which is actually kinda cool. Part is also wanting to gage the interest level in you and your work.

Now, I'm not one of these folks whose life rises and falls based on alleged popularity. I'm a loner. I don't run with large crowds. I go to lots of events where I think it's funny when other "public people" do the whole "public people" thing. I've never sought out to be in the in crowd. It's so not me. But I know it's a necessary part of the writing job... or any job that requires the public to keep you employed.

But I do like to Google, Technoriati, and Amazon myself. Weird. Yeah, I know.

That's part of the reason some authors suggest keeping two computers if you can. One that is Internet ready. One that has no active Internet service.

Or setting up specific times each day to do your Internet searches, so that you don't waste time.

From one of my favorite blogs, A Newbie's Guide to Publishing, Top 10 Signs You're Online Too Much and Writing On Speed, which is actually some practical tips for working hard and fast on your next writing project.

OK. Heading to the post office. Happy Monday!
fs

1 comment:

Cashana said...

I read your blog daily and I wanted to tell you, but I have to follow the guidelines. Great job.