Monday, April 07, 2008

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted

It seems like we ALL live lives where we restrict ourselves in one way or another.

We refrain from eating certain foods or skip meals all together... for whatever or WHOever. We question our appearance and acceptability in others' eyes. We doubt our own worth and abilities and what we have to offer. And that's all before even leaving the house to face the world in the morning. Toss in gender, ethnicity, age, weight, and class, and... imagine!

So when I heard about this book, The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Acts of Liberation, I cheered out loud. It's a collection of short stories by Elizabeth Berg.

The opening line of the title story is fabulous: "I began at Dunkin Donuts. I hadn't gone there since I started Weight Watchers a year ago." The character goes on to describe, in great and fun detail, a day long binge.

And even with additional short stories that focus on exes getting over you, sacrificing for kids, and dating after age 50, these stories all share a common thread. The stories all end in liberating ways for the characters.

Sounds like a fun, positive read to add to the spring book list. Maybe something to share with a mother-figure in your life for the coming holiday.

Maybe something to inspire you to spend a day eating whatever you want!
fs

No comments: