Saturday, June 14, 2008

Band Fags

So you gotta check out this new novel, Band Fags.

It's a coming-of-age novel, set in my hometown (the Detroit area) by Frank Anthony Polito, also originally from the Detroit area.

Set in the 1980s, Band Fags follows two young men and their friendship from middle through high school, as they navigate being in band, crushes, relationships, and all those sexual identity questions that all young people go through.

If you have a things for the 80s, or Detroit, or being in band, or just have a young person in your life who's going through it (just because they're creative and cool like that!), you gotta check out this novel.

I did orchestra, by the way... made it to first-chair violin by h.s. senior year. Quit all together by sophomore year college. Wish I hadn't quit. That's another story.

Have a good one!
fs

2 comments:

Frank Anthony Polito said...

Hey, Fred!

Thanks for the shout out... Had my hometown signing in Motown this past week and sold EVERY book in the store... Wish you could've been here!

--Frank

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check it out. I have quite a few memories of being in the marching and concert bands. I eventually quit playing after my freshman year in college.