Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ain't We Lucky

For any of you who watched the show Good Times, either as an original series or in reruns, you know the painting, Sugar Shack, pictured here.

What you may not know is the artist behind the art work, is Ernie Barnes. And you also may not know that Ernie Barnes passed away on Monday, here in Los Angeles.

It's funny how many of us don't think we're into art. But then when a painting like Sugar Shack has been etched in our minds for like ever, we soon realize that we are into art without thinking about it. And that there is a real person and story behind the work.

Ain't we lucky...
fs

4 comments:

D-Place said...

Yes we are lucky we had him!

Dayne Avery said...

Hey Fred, hope all is well. Holla at me sometime.

Unknown said...

Yes we are indeed. This picture which I have seen reminds me of the placed called "Sugar's" in The Chosen Place Timeless People by Paule Marshall that I am reading.

the last noel said...

Oh, wow. This post saddened me. This picture immediately brought back my childhood. Thanks for letting me know. Prayers out to the family.